12/08/2008

Storm's a comin', best get the chickens inside

I went over to Fareway today and it was madness. Not a shopping cart to be found, great empty spaces on the shelves - the soup section was decimated. So, when I got to the register, I asked "Is there a storm coming or it always like this on Mondays?" She laughed and, apparently, there is a storm coming.

Growing up here, I don't remember panicking or stocking up on groceries before a storm, but maybe I just didn't notice it. Then again, we always had fairly good stockpiles of food, so there wasn't a need for a rushed trip to the store. I'm sure I would have found it very exciting, though. MNMom is going through the very same thing, as I write this.

The storm, so far, is a crappy bout of ice pellets, so people are smart to stay off the streets tonight. I don't know if the stores are open late for Xmas, yet, but this weather isn't going to help. As my Dad used to say, "t'aint fit for man nor beast out there!"

The title of the post is something my friend, Scott, said once and it's always cracked me up. You have to say it in a kind of creaky, old New England voice to get the full effect, though. Go ahead and try it.

3 comments:

michaelg said...

We both had depression era parents. They had enough food on hand at all times to get us through a decade of famine and blight. That's why we never saw the mayhem. We still had food that my mother had canned before she died when my father died 8 years later.

Scott J. said...

No kidding. I think my parents would have sooner died than find themselves without a basic necessity. "It's just not done!"

Little Sister said...

My mom LOVED to make as many trips down the hill during a storm as she could get away with. I think the shear excitement of conquering the hill made her feel so superior.