12/07/2008

I miss Nor-Ski

A cold, cloudy, snowy day like this reminds of the time I spent at Nor-Ski when I was a young scrapper. From my first, tearful runs down the bunny hill as a seven year old to driving out there for night skiing on Wednesdays when I was in high school.

I can remember the acrid smell and dry air from the heater in the "chalet", the smell of wet leather from my mittens and mitten guards. I remember the exact shades of green of the tow ropes, and the difference between the new ropes and the old. Learning to flip that towbar behind my back. I remember how cool I thought I was with my red gators and Look ski gloves when I was older. I remember my skis stretching from the middle of my car seat back to the back deck, because I didn't have a roof rack. The silly walk we all did in our ski boots, but nobody thought it was silly.

Bunny, Snow Bunny, Novice, Expert... the Suicide Run... Bob Hunt and the Ski Patrol classes... My friends' older brothers, who skied hell bent for leather and were practically gods in my eyes... The dull ache of snow jammed inside the cuffs of my gloves and stuck on my wrist... And the smell of snow, on the ground or in the air...

This year I'm going to buy some X-country skis, but I don't suppose I'll ever lose those memories of Nor-Ski.

6 comments:

Little Sister said...

Oh the smell of the warming house!! And the tricky part of getting onto the third rope tow to get to intermmediate...I was short and weighed about 65 pounds...that thing LIFTED ME off the ground...ahhh NorSki, even miss the icey skiing and the haybale benches.

brenda k said...

I have a very close friend from highschool - I best not mention her name here - but she was talking to me this summer about how she had been fiddling around with the idea of trying to either get Nor Ski going again - or if there would be a chance she could ever buy the land and do it herself. (Not knowing anything about its status or ownership, however.) Interesting you post this! It reminds me I never sent her the pictures I have of "ghost hunting" at Nor Ski. I have lots of those kinds of pictures from different explorations. I might have to feature in my blog soon!

michaelg said...

I only downhills skied once in high school and ran into the chalet after a terrifying run down the bunny hill. I wasn't so terribly coordinated then or now.
Who was it, Brenda? Perhaps Scott could entice her into making her dream come true?? Scott, put on your best enticing clothes and practice some good lines.

brenda k said...

You know her MG - JW. (her maiden name initials)your Sis' highschool friend also.

She threw my former boss up against a wall once after he delivered a blonde line. I would pass on the lines SJ. LOL

Scott J. said...

Hmm... I can't remember whom you're talking about but maybe it will come to me.

Today would be a perfect day for skiing. Fresh powder, baby! If only I had younger knees...

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!