8/18/2009

The Dogwood Days of Summer

It's August and, though we haven't been experiencing the brutal heat and humidity we're accustomed to this time of year, tempers are flaring, harsh words are exchanged, and citizens are taking sides in a great debate over the most important issues of our time. Health Care Reform? Nope. President Obama's birth certificate? Not even close. Tastes Great/Less Filling? Not this time, no. I'm talking, of course, about bicycles and tree trimming. That's right - bicycles on the streets and trimming trees are the issues that are tearing our fair community apart.

Bicycles - Decorah has a fairly large population of bike riders, which I think is great; but the good citizens here are locked in a battle over cyclists' rights and responsibilities that puts the Windows v. Mac debate to shame. I fully expect violence to break out at a City Council meeting as each side ratchets up the righteous indignation and demands their opinions be codified and enforced. To which I say: Hey, knuckleheads! It's common sense. Bicycles on the streets is not a new phenomenon in the city, nor are cars and trucks. Use your brains and drive/ride safely.

Tree trimming - The level of angst and panic on display over the city sending out certified letters to property owners re: tree trimming could only be matched by the news that a meteor was heading directly toward Winneshiek County, with hellish, fiery death a certainty for all. It's almost embarrassing to witness the hysteria that's overtaken the community as people try to comprehend this unheard of fascism ordinance that's been on the books since Decorah started paving its streets and sidewalks.

I'll admit I don't pay too much attention to issues at the local level; not because I have any kind of disdain for my community, it's just that I tend to follow national issues more closely. I guess I have a kind of "WTF? This is what you're upset about?" attitude toward some of the goings-on around here, and I find the level of outrage and shock over various issues somewhat odd. Then again, who am I to judge what's important to my neighbors?

Now, I'd better get a move on. I need to edge my sidewalks and mow the lawn before someone calls the Lawn Patrol on me.

No comments: