4/07/2011

I Won't Be Ignored, Dan

After a harrowing several months on the run from Rick Fromm and his henchman from the publishing cabal, I'm back on the tubes! Did you miss me? I know I certainly did. And you're very likely thinking, "Gosh, I'll bet Scott has probably matured, and spent a lot of time and energy on self-reflection and personal growth." No. That is not the case.

It seems like the longer I live in D-town, the less I know about what's happening around here. Is that intentional? Couldn't say, but I certainly feel like I'm losing touch with the local goings-on. But even if it were intentional, could you blame me? No, you probably could not. I mean, bollocks, this year's shiny thing is the controversy(!) over whether we can plant gardens in our boulevards. Will the Mayor veto? Can we survive as a community?? Will there be blood??? Yeesh...

Speaking of the Problems of the Privileged, I'm involved in several projects that are absolutely stonewalled and driving me nearly mental with frustration. Have you ever worked with those people who are so hung up on ancillary details that they never get anything done? Gah! It's just maddening to listen to these folks go on and on about the buzz and glory and whee! of things when they won't do any of the actual work required to get the project moving. Again, gah! I'll be the first to admit that I'm no poster boy for Ambition, Inc. but we're talking about relatively easy, mostly painless work that needs to be done here and my project-mates are running around in circles and giggling to themselves about how much everyone's going to love what they're doing. Frankly, it's a sad day when I'm the voice of reason.

Meanwhile, Spring comes a'creepin' to our fair city. I've seen some crocus and tulips popping up in the last few days and the weather is getting to a point where I can peel off a few of my normal half-dozen layers of thermal shirts and fleece pullovers. Being the jaded bastard that I am, however, I'm not quite ready to put it all into Summer storage and bring out the tropical shirts and shorts. Not this month, yet, anyway. And, of course, Spring means yard work. I'll admit my fondness for gardening, mowing and general yard upkeep has waned aggressively in the last few years. I'm not quite ready to pave the yard but the logic and appeal is not lost on me.

All that said, I can't really complain. Things are going reasonably well, I've plenty of food and a nice place to live, and the days are growing longer and warmer. It'll be a busy few months ahead, to be sure, but I guess that's the point of it all, isn't it?

No comments: