1/26/2009

4 in the morning came without a warning

- or - Insomniacs Don't Sleep Around

For the past several months, I've had a somewhat annoying habit of falling asleep in my recliner while watching TV, then waking up between 3 and 5am. The annoying part of this is that I can't get myself to go to bed, so I end up dinking around, trying to find something to do until the rest of the world wakes up. (Which might make you think I have nothing to do, which isn't true - I just don't want to do those things at that hour.) I've never been a big sleeper so once I'm up, I'm up, and that's the end of it.

So, here's list of random and probably irrelevant things going through my head this morning:

1 - I broke the shower in my apt. - well, the hand-held shower head, to be accurate. This obviously presents me with a hygienic dilemma, which is only mitigated by the fact that I don't spend a lot of time around actual people, most days. On the plus side, I can use the facilities at Mom's place, but I never thought I'd have to walk two blocks to take a shower. Of course, I could simply buy a new shower head, but I'm fairly psyched about moving out of this apt. and I don't feel like spending the money on it. (It's an old-timey bathtub that didn't have the shower hooked up when I moved in, so it's not like I have to leave a shower set up when I move. Yes, I know it's the right and generous thing to do, but...)

2 - I'm having a terrible time finding music I like, lately. I have somewhere near 9,000 songs in my iTunes catalog but nothing's moving me. Suggestions are welcome. Or if you're looking for something, let me know and I'll see if I have it.

3 - I keep meeting people I know (knew?) in town but not introducing myself. I don't know why. If we start talking, I'm happy to tell them who my parents are, but I can't seem to bring myself to just say, "It's me! I know you from years ago." Still odd, after all these years, I guess... Though I did run into a former elementary school PE teacher, but I can't remember her name, which may result in some computer work. Interesting...

4 - Speaking of music, I re-strung my bass last night, in preparation for this year's Bash. I'm pretty excited about playing, but I've really lost my edge over the years. I have a terrible time remembering lyrics and I've lost all confidence in my voice, to the point that I'm almost afraid to sing out loud.



Well, I feel better already! I should find something productive to do, now. Happy Monday! (Yes, the post title is a Night Ranger lyric. Good memory!)

5 comments:

michaelg said...

Recliners are so dangerous at our age. One should not sit in them after 8 p.m. if they had any thoughts of sleeping in their beds.

1. Run some water in the tub and sit in it. Problem solved.

3. Did she look like a lesbian? Oh wait that's all the female gym teachers we had. Was it Miss Vedvik or Mrs. Guard?

Scott J. said...

Vedik! I kept thinking Vick, for some reason.

brenda k said...

Try this - he was on Ellen this morning - I liked him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1Yau9K9YQ&feature=related

brenda k said...

woops...nimble fingers here. james morrison -

Mnmom said...

Might I suggest Great Big Sea? love them.
Miss Vedvik - one cool woman.